Hackney schools shamed in SATs test probe
- Credit: Archant
Test results have been annulled at two Hackney primary schools found guilty of maladministration in SATs exams.
When league tables are published next month the mental maths test papers for Southwold and De Beauvoir schools, which were taken by 10- and 11-year-old year six pupils, will show ‘0’ as the score, as will the spelling tests at Southwold.
It follows an investigation at both schools finding maladministration, which implies a lack of honesty, care or judgement.
A source told the Hackney Gazette: “It seems the papers were checked and the answers had been altered.
“The teacher has to stand at the front and read out the questions, it’s mental arithmetic, it gets the kids thinking in their head, there is no working out on paper.
You may also want to watch:
“From what I understand there were differences in handwriting between what the child had put down and some other answers.”
A spokesman for the Department for Education’s (DFE) Standards and Testing Agency (STA) said: “Any instances of maladministration of tests are completely unacceptable.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 4 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 5 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 6 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 7 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 8 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 9 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 10 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park
“Following an investigation into the administration of 2014 Key Stage 2 tests at De Beauvoir Primary School, the decision was made to annul a number of the children’s mental mathematics results.
“At Southwold Primary School we decided to annul the results for the mental mathematics and spelling tests for all pupils.”
The STA does not apportion blame for maladministration or take part in any disciplinary procedures relating to it, and has referred the matter back to the Learning Trust, which is now investigating both schools in Tottenham Road, De Beauvoir and Detmold Road, Upper Clapton.
A spokesman for Hackney Learning Trust said: “All children affected have been allocated moderated teacher assessment data for this element of their examinations.
“An internal investigation is underway and it would be inappropriate to comment any further at this stage.”