Hackney student wins scholarship to shoot hoops across the pond
- Credit: Abigail Sillence
An award-winning Hackney basketball player will do a full court press on his education after winning a scholarship to the US.
Aaron Badibo, 19, who studied sports at New City College's Hackney campus,was the first student in the borough to win one of 12 student scholarships.
He will now go and study overseas at Sheridan College in Wyoming.
Aaron, who has this year picked up the AoC sports player of the year, ABL Southern Conference player of the year and most valuable player, will soon be turning out for the Generals.
Aaron said: "I am so grateful to my teachers and coaches for pushing me to get to where I am now.
You may also want to watch:
"Their advice and encouragement has helped to develop my game and continually improve to be the best player that I can be."
The next step for Aaron might be the pro leagues, but first he'll have to get used to rural Sheridan, which has just six per cent of the population of Hackney.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 5 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 8 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week