Hackney student wins scholarship to shoot hoops across the pond
- Credit: Abigail Sillence
An award-winning Hackney basketball player will do a full court press on his education after winning a scholarship to the US.
Aaron Badibo, 19, who studied sports at New City College's Hackney campus,was the first student in the borough to win one of 12 student scholarships.
He will now go and study overseas at Sheridan College in Wyoming.
Aaron, who has this year picked up the AoC sports player of the year, ABL Southern Conference player of the year and most valuable player, will soon be turning out for the Generals.
Aaron said: "I am so grateful to my teachers and coaches for pushing me to get to where I am now.
You may also want to watch:
"Their advice and encouragement has helped to develop my game and continually improve to be the best player that I can be."
The next step for Aaron might be the pro leagues, but first he'll have to get used to rural Sheridan, which has just six per cent of the population of Hackney.
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images