Hackney student wins scholarship to shoot hoops across the pond
- Credit: Abigail Sillence
An award-winning Hackney basketball player will do a full court press on his education after winning a scholarship to the US.
Aaron Badibo, 19, who studied sports at New City College's Hackney campus,was the first student in the borough to win one of 12 student scholarships.
He will now go and study overseas at Sheridan College in Wyoming.
Aaron, who has this year picked up the AoC sports player of the year, ABL Southern Conference player of the year and most valuable player, will soon be turning out for the Generals.
Aaron said: "I am so grateful to my teachers and coaches for pushing me to get to where I am now.
You may also want to watch:
"Their advice and encouragement has helped to develop my game and continually improve to be the best player that I can be."
The next step for Aaron might be the pro leagues, but first he'll have to get used to rural Sheridan, which has just six per cent of the population of Hackney.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting