Hackney Wick project celebrates the area and its diversity
- Credit: The People Speak
A group of international artists are teaming up with a Hackney guide to celebrate the diversity of Hackney Wick.
East London based group The People Speak and Hackney Tours will perform a live pop-up talk show on the streets of the Wick on September 27 and provide free training sessions for freelancers and community participants.
They will also create an interactive tour of the area to be released on October 17.
Simon Cole, Founder and guide for Hackney Tours said: “I really love what The People Speaks does. I’m looking forward to sharing the inclusive space they’ll make as they bring people together in these tricky times. There are a lot of conversations to be had in what is an area of great change and a time of massive upheaval.
“My role is to help refine all the tales we’ll hear and coach some storytellers. We want people to share their experiences of Hackney Wick old and new, with neighbours and visitors alike.”
You may also want to watch:
The join project is part of the Wick Together scheme funded by the Mayor of London’s Creative Enterprise Zone programme and managed jointly by Hackney Council, Tower Hamlets Council and the London Legacy Development Corporation.
Wick Speaks is one of the first four new commissions to be supported by the fund.
- 1 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 2 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 6 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 7 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 8 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 9 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
Together, the commissions will create work for 20 freelance creatives who have lost contracts due to the coronavirus crisis.
Wick speaks is currently looking for volunteer participants and to recruit two freelancers for the project.
For more information visit thepeoplespeak.org.uk