Hackney youngsters are picture perfect at award ceremony
TALENTED Hackney youngsters snapped up awards this week as part of a special photography exhibition.
The ten young photographers saw their work displayed at the Robin Redmond Resource Centre in Finsbury Park on Saturday, with first, second and third prizes going to Sabaa Abdulhamid, 11, Busayo Oyedoyin, 10, and Tomisin Oyedoyin, 9.
The free exhibition followed the jam-packed Woodberry Down 2010 summer programme, which included a photography course.
As part of the award ceremony, run by Genesis Housing group, another 28 young people were honoured for their efforts in the summer course, which included football and music production sessions.
Sharon Gaspard, youth coordinator for Woodberry Down, said: “The great success of this day was due in large part to all the help from my colleagues at Woodberry Down and from our partners Not in Vain - a community organisation working with young people and focusing on tackling gun and knife crime.
You may also want to watch:
“The turnout by the young people and their families was amazing. I am proud to say that one of our local residents, Ian Kleinberg, helped set up this photo exhibition and he will soon be starting the Woodberry Down Camera Club.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 8 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death