Haggerston publisher giving away free children’s books
- Credit: Sam Shakes
A Haggerston entrepreneur is giving away free children’s books to help parents during the coronavirus lockdown.
Sam Shakes, who set up Nature Inspired Books in 2010, is offering free copies of Sam Elbow – Naughty! to the first five parents in Hackney who get in contact.
The story, which was thought up by her then-five-year-old niece Sade Oladejo, covers topics such as bullying, friendship, moral behaviour and forgiveness.
Sam said: “It came to me during meditation. I thought, I have got books here and it is a bit of a shame having them under the stairs when they could be read.
“It’s important to keep your mind ticking over, you can gain so much from stories morally and it is bonding for parents reading from a hard copy.”
You may also want to watch:
Sam set up Nature Inspired Books after she had surgery to remove her colon and appendix, and wrote her first self-help book, Then Life Took Control: A Journal from Sickness to Wellbeing.
She runs regular stalls at Homerton Hospital, King’s College Hospital and the Whittington Hospital, at which proceeds from her art and book sales are donated to the respective institution.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
Contact Sam for a free, delivered copy of Sam Elbow on 07518 124194 or by visiting www.samshakes.wordpress.com