Alley-oop! Homerton school Cardinal Pole’s rookie basketball team finishes third in national competition
- Credit: Archant
A Homerton school’s basketball team created less than two years ago have finished third in a national competition.
Cardinal Pole’s Year 8 girls’ team recorded the impressive feat in the Jr. NBA League, a competition for 11- to 13 year-old secondary school students who participate in league and knockout fixtures.
Team member Esther Frederick said: “Basketball to me is a feeling. It helps me stay in shape and it’s fun because I’m doing something I love.
“This has changed my life for the better.”
The side’s coach Ms Grego said: “This competition has provided a platform where attributes such as teamwork, resilience and commitment are able to flourish through a love of playing basketball.
You may also want to watch:
“Training twice a week in the early morning has supported the girls in exceeding broader educational outcomes.”
The school’s headteacher Ms Heffernan added: “From scratch to success, this achievement is truly a testament to the hard work and talent of our students and their coach.”
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic