Alley-oop! Homerton school Cardinal Pole’s rookie basketball team finishes third in national competition
- Credit: Archant
A Homerton school’s basketball team created less than two years ago have finished third in a national competition.
Cardinal Pole’s Year 8 girls’ team recorded the impressive feat in the Jr. NBA League, a competition for 11- to 13 year-old secondary school students who participate in league and knockout fixtures.
Team member Esther Frederick said: “Basketball to me is a feeling. It helps me stay in shape and it’s fun because I’m doing something I love.
“This has changed my life for the better.”
The side’s coach Ms Grego said: “This competition has provided a platform where attributes such as teamwork, resilience and commitment are able to flourish through a love of playing basketball.
You may also want to watch:
“Training twice a week in the early morning has supported the girls in exceeding broader educational outcomes.”
The school’s headteacher Ms Heffernan added: “From scratch to success, this achievement is truly a testament to the hard work and talent of our students and their coach.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 7 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man