Alley-oop! Homerton school Cardinal Pole’s rookie basketball team finishes third in national competition
- Credit: Archant
A Homerton school’s basketball team created less than two years ago have finished third in a national competition.
Cardinal Pole’s Year 8 girls’ team recorded the impressive feat in the Jr. NBA League, a competition for 11- to 13 year-old secondary school students who participate in league and knockout fixtures.
Team member Esther Frederick said: “Basketball to me is a feeling. It helps me stay in shape and it’s fun because I’m doing something I love.
“This has changed my life for the better.”
The side’s coach Ms Grego said: “This competition has provided a platform where attributes such as teamwork, resilience and commitment are able to flourish through a love of playing basketball.
“Training twice a week in the early morning has supported the girls in exceeding broader educational outcomes.”
The school’s headteacher Ms Heffernan added: “From scratch to success, this achievement is truly a testament to the hard work and talent of our students and their coach.”
- 1 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 De Beauvoir mother and son campaign to keep the 21 bus route
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after being caught with cannabis and cash
- 6 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 7 'Deeply shocked and troubled': Reports of rising anti-Semitic crime
- 8 ‘The people of Edmonton will stop this incinerator’ - Protestors promise more action if plan is signed off
- 9 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 10 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney