Alley-oop! Homerton school Cardinal Pole’s rookie basketball team finishes third in national competition
- Credit: Archant
A Homerton school’s basketball team created less than two years ago have finished third in a national competition.
Cardinal Pole’s Year 8 girls’ team recorded the impressive feat in the Jr. NBA League, a competition for 11- to 13 year-old secondary school students who participate in league and knockout fixtures.
Team member Esther Frederick said: “Basketball to me is a feeling. It helps me stay in shape and it’s fun because I’m doing something I love.
“This has changed my life for the better.”
The side’s coach Ms Grego said: “This competition has provided a platform where attributes such as teamwork, resilience and commitment are able to flourish through a love of playing basketball.
You may also want to watch:
“Training twice a week in the early morning has supported the girls in exceeding broader educational outcomes.”
The school’s headteacher Ms Heffernan added: “From scratch to success, this achievement is truly a testament to the hard work and talent of our students and their coach.”
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs