Hoxton college launches network to support and inspire
Hackney Community College initiative links past and present students
Musicians, actors, fashion designers, artists, local business people and prominent community figures – all with roots in Hackney – came together to launch of a new initiative at Hackney Community College, pledging to support and inspire Hackney people to reach their full potential.
HCC Alumni and Friends was launched in the Hoxton college on Thursday November 25 by Leroy Logan MBE, a senior police officer now seconded to the 2012 Olympic policing team, who believes studying at the college laid the foundations for his successful career.
The Speaker of Hackney, Cllr Sally Mulready, who studied at the college’s Ayrsome Road site in 1968, told the gathering how the one-day-a-week course helped her to catch up on previously-missed schooling, after which she progressed to Birkbeck University.
Pledging to support today’s students, Sally said “If I can do anything, I will. HCC gave me the inspiration, the aspiration and the determination that I didn’t have.
You may also want to watch:
“Without the start in life that this college gave me, I wouldn’t have got to where I have today”.
Other supporters included fashion designer Rhianon Jones who has taken the fashion world by storm with her label Bolshie since she graduated from the college this year, and Hackney actor Colin McFarlane who appeared in the film Batman.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
HCC Alumni and Friends offers members discounts in Hoxton Street’s Open Kitchen Bar & Restaurant and the SPACe sports centre on Falkirk Street, where the college is now based.
Members will also enjoy discounted rates on business training and conference facilities from the college, as well as regular seminars and social events.