Hoxton play area opens gates amid demolition fear
- Credit: Archant
A brand new £40,000 playground with a custom-designed treehouse, teepee and willow groves has opened at Whitmore School – but could be demolished along with the whole school if plans go ahead to establish a secondary school there.
The infants’ playground at Whitmore Primary School in Bridport Place, Hoxton, was launched on Tuesday.
Head of business at the school, Liz Gillen, said: “The weather was wonderful – the children all had balloons which they set off into the sky, and the headteacher cut the ribbon with one of the children.
“The parents and children stayed all day – they were really excited. There was also African drumming and circus skills going on.”
But parents were told in February by the head of Hackney Learning Trust, Anne Canning, that a shortage of 180 secondary school places from September 2017 means a new school is needed. The only feasible sites they can identify in the borough are both by Shoreditch Park – Britannia Leisure Centre and the “outstanding” primary.
You may also want to watch:
But the Hyde Road sports centre is already earmarked as one of five potential sites in the area needed for a ventilation shaft for Crossrail 2. That means even if a school is approved on that site, the rail project’s need would come first, leaving education bosses with no choice but to build on the Whitmore site instead.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back