Jess Glynne and Greg James pay surprise visit to National Citizen Service volunteers in Haggerston
- Credit: BennyJ
Teenagers on a summer volunteering programme were treated to a surprise visit from Grammy Award winning musician Jess Glynne and BBC Radio 1 presenter Greg James.
The 16 and 17-year-olds are on the National Citizen Service (NCS) programme, for which the ‘I Cry When I Laugh’ singer is an Ambassador.
The government-backed NCS two or three week full-time programme includes 30-hours of voluntary work for a community project which benefits young people and society, and enables participants to build work and life skills.
Speaking at the visit at Haggerston School, Jess said: I had moments when I was growing up which made me doubt whether I could achieve what I wanted.
“A programme like NCS helps young people see more of what the world is about and it encourages them to hold their heads high and achieve their goals.”
You may also want to watch:
NCS spokesman Jack Mercer said: “It was great to have Jess and Greg visiting NCS this week to show their support – the young people were really surprised and it clearly meant a lot that they had taken the time to attend and offer some insight to their successful careers.
“Teens are influenced by aspirational people and Jess’s and Greg’s enthusiasm is just what we need to remind people what NCS is all about and the positive impact it can have on the teenagers who take part.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 8 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting