Jubilee School in Stoke Newington treated to National Theatre production
Stoke Newington youngsters were treated to a National Theatre performance in their own school, which raised a myriad of issues from global warming to facing fear.
Island tells the story of a London schoolboy forced to spend his school holiday without a computer, phone or Facebook with his scientist mother on a melting Arctic island.
“I thought it was going to be too difficult for them but they had a real understanding of the issues it brought up,” said deputy head Nick Cannon.
“It’s one of those things that you should never dumb down to a child because they will always meet you.
“One of the things they really got was that they boy in the play tackles a polar bear and they said without fear you will never learn.
You may also want to watch:
“It was nice to see something of the National Theatre quality but in a school – the costumes, the acting and the story, I’m hoping this link with The National will lead on and on and on.”
The performance in Jubilee primary school in Filey Avenue formed part of a tour to 22 primary schools across 12 London boroughs.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
Island will be performed for family audiences at the National’s Cottesloe Theatre from February 15 – 25 and is suitable for children over 8 years.
Call 020 7452 3000 to book tickets or go to www.nationaltheatre.org.uk