Stoke Newington’s Jubilee Primary School wins £1,000 in census competition
- Credit: Office for National Statistics
Youngsters from Jubilee Primary School have bagged £1,000 in school supplies after winning a competition set up to teach kids about the census.
Children were asked to explore their local area and created school-centred maps and displays on their findings in the 'Let's Count!' educational programme put on by the Office for National Statistics.
Judges were impressed with the "hard work and creativity" pupils had put into the display at the school in Filey Avenue, Stoke Newington, and picked them as the overall winners
Jubilee's head of year six, George Gould, said: "We are really proud as a school to have won this national award.
"We always aim to link maths in the classroom to the real world in as many ways as possible to strengthen children's understanding and make it relevant to their lives. This competition was a great way of developing all of our children's statistics and citizenship skills, speaking and listening to members of the local community and collecting and presenting data."
You may also want to watch:
Statistician Iain Bell who helped judge the competition added: "We're delighted at how eager the children have been to learn about the importance of the census which informs so many important issues like the number of school places or hospital beds."
Shortlisted primary schools in Hackney which received £100 in school supplies included Halley House, Harrington Hill, Simon Marks and Randal Cremer.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year