London Fields nursery shut by Hackney council
- Credit: PA
A nursery near Broadway Market has been shut by Hackney Council due to safety concerns.
Market Nursery near London Fields station was closed by the council on October 23.
A spokesperson from the council told the Gazette that it owns the nursery building rented by London Early Years Foundation (LEYF).
They said: “In late 2019 and early 2020, LEYF converted the building into a nursery, however they still have not obtained building control approval for the work, which means that we cannot be assured of the building’s safety.”
The council says it set out the work needed for the nursery to stay open in an email to LEYF in March yet “some of the actions” in this email have not yet been undertaken, therefore the local authority advised Market Nursery to close.
You may also want to watch:
“We are working closely with LEYF and their architect to agree what needs to happen to obtain Building Regulations approval. However, it is not possible at this stage to say when the nursery will be able to re-open,” said the council.
A concerned parent, who preferred not to be named, says it has been a nightmare as they are now spending hours commuting their young child to an alternative nursery allocated by LEYF, which runs 39 nurseries and pre-schools across London.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 4 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 5 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 8 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 9 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 10 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing
LEYF has been contacted for comment.