London’s bid to become world’s most walkable city launches at London Fields primary school
- Credit: Archant
An ambitious plan to make London the world’s most walkable city was launched this morning at a London Fields primary school.
The capital’s first Walking Action Plan was unveiled by walking and cycling commissioner Will Norman at Gayhurst Primary School in Gayhurst Road . He wants an extra one million walking trips taking place every day by 2024.
To help achieve this, Sadiq Khan is investing £2.2bn in streets to make them better for walking and cycling and improve air quality.
Gayhurst is one of Hackney’s 16 STAR schools – meaning it champions healthy routes to school, supports school run road closures (school streets), has 20mph speed limits and holds car free days.
Deputy mayor Cllr Feryal Demirci was there. She said: “The plan complements the work we’re doing to promote walking, including prioritising pedestrians in transport schemes, increasing school streets and getting 70 per cent of children walking to school by 2025.”
You may also want to watch:
Will Norman added: “Walking is a fantastic way to get around and explore London, and getting more Londoners to walk regularly is essential for the health and future prosperity of our city.
“By making it easier for Londoners to leave their cars at home and walk instead, it will tackle the air pollution crisis and reduce congestion as London’s population continues to grow. It will have a truly transformational impact on our city.”
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 4 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 5 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 6 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 9 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney