Millfields Community School’s SOS protest against funding cuts captured by drone above Hackney Marshes
- Credit: Jorn Tomter
A school’s unique protest against funding cuts to education across the borough has been captured by a drone flying above Hackney Marshes.
Helped by parents and teachers, students from Millfields Community School formed a human-made SOS distress signal with a twist, as the message was designed to represent the message ‘save our schools’.
Under the government’s current National Funding Formula proposal the Hilsea street school is set to lose £458,955 by 2019 – or the equivalent of £746 per pupil over that period.
The school’s protest was part of ‘outdoor education day’, which sees staff and students getting out and about in the open air and taking part in an array of activities.
Headteacher Jane Betsworth said: “Thank you to parents who came to help out with the logistics on the day, and to Fiona McAllister for the idea in the first place and to Jorn Tomter who owns the drone and took the photos.
You may also want to watch:
“The staff and children really enjoyed the day.”
The school will be including one outdoor learning lesson every week in timetables after half term, and then will review the sessions to see if it is something it can continue all year round.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 4 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 5 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 6 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 9 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 10 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
As part of the national ‘big assembly’ protest against funding cuts to schools, there will be a picnic in Millfields Park at 4pm on Friday and several destinations across Hackney.