Millfields Community School’s SOS protest against funding cuts captured by drone above Hackney Marshes
- Credit: Jorn Tomter
A school’s unique protest against funding cuts to education across the borough has been captured by a drone flying above Hackney Marshes.
Helped by parents and teachers, students from Millfields Community School formed a human-made SOS distress signal with a twist, as the message was designed to represent the message ‘save our schools’.
Under the government’s current National Funding Formula proposal the Hilsea street school is set to lose £458,955 by 2019 – or the equivalent of £746 per pupil over that period.
The school’s protest was part of ‘outdoor education day’, which sees staff and students getting out and about in the open air and taking part in an array of activities.
Headteacher Jane Betsworth said: “Thank you to parents who came to help out with the logistics on the day, and to Fiona McAllister for the idea in the first place and to Jorn Tomter who owns the drone and took the photos.
You may also want to watch:
“The staff and children really enjoyed the day.”
The school will be including one outdoor learning lesson every week in timetables after half term, and then will review the sessions to see if it is something it can continue all year round.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
As part of the national ‘big assembly’ protest against funding cuts to schools, there will be a picnic in Millfields Park at 4pm on Friday and several destinations across Hackney.