MP Diane Abbott praises younsters in efforts to ditch the car and walk to school
- Credit: Olivia Harris
MP Diane Abbott praised Sir Thomas Abney youngsters on their efforts to walk to school more often, saying it could prevent obesity and safeguard their health for the future.
The MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington went to see how pupils at Sir Thomas Abney primary school in Fairholt Road, Stoke Newington are engaging with the charity Living Streets’ Walk once a Week (WoW) programme, which awards collectable badges to children who regularly walk to school.
Ms Abbott who often speaks out about rising rates of childhood obesity said it was a joy to see how the pupils enjoy taking part.
She said: “Physical inactivity is one of the biggest public health challenges we currently face.
“We know one in three children leave primary school overweight or obese.
You may also want to watch:
“The walk to school is an easy way to build some exercise into a child’s day not only keeping them fitter today, but safeguarding their health for the future.”
Junior road safety officer at the school. 11-year old Bukky Osinusi who showed Ms Abbott the school travel plan display said: “Ms Abbott was very interested in how we were helping children around the school understand the importance of being safe on the roads.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 9 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
“She was very impressed with how much we have done to encourage children to walk, cycle and scooter to school, we really enjoyed her visit.”
WoW is a core part of Hackney Council’s sustainable travel to school programme.
Sir Thomas Abney has been recognised by Transport for London’s STARS scheme for their work in encouraging sustainable travel to school, and is one of 16 schools working towards becoming European leaders in sustainable school travel.