MP Diane Abbott praises younsters in efforts to ditch the car and walk to school
- Credit: Olivia Harris
MP Diane Abbott praised Sir Thomas Abney youngsters on their efforts to walk to school more often, saying it could prevent obesity and safeguard their health for the future.
The MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington went to see how pupils at Sir Thomas Abney primary school in Fairholt Road, Stoke Newington are engaging with the charity Living Streets’ Walk once a Week (WoW) programme, which awards collectable badges to children who regularly walk to school.
Ms Abbott who often speaks out about rising rates of childhood obesity said it was a joy to see how the pupils enjoy taking part.
She said: “Physical inactivity is one of the biggest public health challenges we currently face.
“We know one in three children leave primary school overweight or obese.
You may also want to watch:
“The walk to school is an easy way to build some exercise into a child’s day not only keeping them fitter today, but safeguarding their health for the future.”
Junior road safety officer at the school. 11-year old Bukky Osinusi who showed Ms Abbott the school travel plan display said: “Ms Abbott was very interested in how we were helping children around the school understand the importance of being safe on the roads.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
“She was very impressed with how much we have done to encourage children to walk, cycle and scooter to school, we really enjoyed her visit.”
WoW is a core part of Hackney Council’s sustainable travel to school programme.
Sir Thomas Abney has been recognised by Transport for London’s STARS scheme for their work in encouraging sustainable travel to school, and is one of 16 schools working towards becoming European leaders in sustainable school travel.