MP Meg Hillier rewards graduates at House of Commons ceremony
Graduates of a Hoxton-based programme designed to boost ethnic minority involvement on charity boards were congratulated by MP Meg Hillier at a House of Commons ceremony.
Ms Hillier, the MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch, handed certificates to graduates of the Black On Board programme, which aims to increase the number of ethnic minority individuals on housing, health and education charity boards.
The programme, run by Olmec, a government-funded race equality body based in Rivington Street, involved training for up to 10 weeks in board member tasks such as finance, human resources and marketing.
Ms Hillier attended the graduation ceremony at Portcullis House on September 14.
She said: “As a Hackney MP I so often meet people who want to contribute to their community but don’t have the confidence to put themselves forward.
You may also want to watch:
“Olmec’s work to develop leaders is great news.
“Not only does it help a wide range of people to participate but it creates role models so we can hope for better representation, reflecting our communities in future.”
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 3 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 4 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 5 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 6 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 7 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 8 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 9 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
The minister for race equality, MP Andrew Stunell, also attended to award certificates to graduates of the First Step programme, also run by Olmec, which aims to help ethnic minority entrepreneurs set up social enterprise businesses.