MP Meg Hillier rewards graduates at House of Commons ceremony
Graduates of a Hoxton-based programme designed to boost ethnic minority involvement on charity boards were congratulated by MP Meg Hillier at a House of Commons ceremony.
Ms Hillier, the MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch, handed certificates to graduates of the Black On Board programme, which aims to increase the number of ethnic minority individuals on housing, health and education charity boards.
The programme, run by Olmec, a government-funded race equality body based in Rivington Street, involved training for up to 10 weeks in board member tasks such as finance, human resources and marketing.
Ms Hillier attended the graduation ceremony at Portcullis House on September 14.
She said: “As a Hackney MP I so often meet people who want to contribute to their community but don’t have the confidence to put themselves forward.
You may also want to watch:
“Olmec’s work to develop leaders is great news.
“Not only does it help a wide range of people to participate but it creates role models so we can hope for better representation, reflecting our communities in future.”
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 5 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
The minister for race equality, MP Andrew Stunell, also attended to award certificates to graduates of the First Step programme, also run by Olmec, which aims to help ethnic minority entrepreneurs set up social enterprise businesses.