New City College launches new Hoxton gym to give students experience in the fitness industry
- Credit: New City College,
New City College has launched a new gym in Hoxton to give its students the chance to gain commercial experience in the fitness industry.
Students at the further education college in Falkirk Street will now help to run the New City Gym, and will get their sports and personal trainer qualifications in a commercial environment.
The idea is similar to the college's commercial restaurant OKN1, which launched last year to give catering students professional experience.
The college has invested in a full refurb of the gym with new equipment, and has re-launched its classes.
At the launch event on Monday, which was attended by professional basketballers, boxers and representatives from sports agencies, manager Aidan Boxall said: "We will provide the best equipment available and affordable membership that will benefit the whole community and provide opportunities for people to lead active and healthy lives.
You may also want to watch:
"And we'll make sure our students get the most up to date experience and recognised industry qualifications to get into great jobs."
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction