Nightingale Primary School students pledge support to Olympia Handball Club fundraising drive
- Credit: Archant
A teacher who is trying to raise £6,000 so her handball team can host a European competition has received a helping “hand” from her students.
It was a special assembly for pupils at Nightingale Primary School as members of Olympia Handball Club gave a presentation on their fundraising drive to host the European Handball Federation Challenge Cup in Britain for the first time in the competition’s history.
The students were in on the act as well, as they donned trainers for the day and donated a pound to the team’s cause – raising more than £200 in the process.
Annaleigh Knott, who is a teaching assistant in Year 6 at the Rendlesham Road school, has been playing handball for four years and is the only British player on the Leyton club’s books.
The 21-year-old also plays for the UK Handball Team and will play on the right wing for her club side as they take on Swiss side LKZug Handball in the two-legged affair in Kent over the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
With no funding coming from the government, the side are reliant on grass roots methods of drumming up the cash.
“There are a lot of costs involved in organising this international event for both of the teams such accommodation, transport and food for the weekend,” she said.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
“As an amateur club we rely on funding from our players, sponsors, supporters, and through community events.
“We would be grateful for any help, however big or small, that anyone can [offer].
“The students really enjoyed hearing from members of the team in the assembly. Some of them also tried out handball for the first time in sessions I ran at the school.”
You can help the team reach their target by searching for ‘EHF Challenge Cup-Olympia HC’ at gofundme.com