Our Lady’s Convent High School sixth formers become reading mentors to Hackney kids
- Credit: Archant
A crop of sixth formers have completed training to become “reading mentors” to kids at Hackney primary schools.
Our Lady’s Convent High School has teamed up with national reading charity Beanstalk to develop a new scheme called ReadUp.
The programme trains students to become accredited reading volunteers.
With increasing demand in primary schools for reading support, a pilot was started between William Patten Primary School and the all-girls secondary school last year.
The primary school’s head Karen Law said: “We are delighted to be part of the project.
You may also want to watch:
“Our children have benefited hugely from having one-on-one attention in a reading activity.”
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 3 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 4 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 5 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 9 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 10 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting