Oxford maths professor tells Mossbourne pupils how prime numbers win soccer matches
One of the world’s best mathematicians gave a lecture to Mossbourne Academy’s sixth formers on the importance of prime numbers in winning football matches.
Marcus du Sautoy, Simonyi Professor for the public understanding of science and Professor of Mathematics at Oxford, gave the talk as part of the Speakers for Schools organisation.
The BBC’s business editor Robert Peston founded the charitable organisation which recruits high achieving individuals to share their wisdom with children from state schools, after noticing many schools which approached him to speak to their pupils were privately run.
Prof Du Sautoy told pupils at the school in Downs Park Road of his conviction that prime numbers can win football matches, using football legend David Beckham’s 17-numbered shirt as an example.
As a regular player with Recreativo FC on Hackney Marshes he tested his theory by changing the team shirts to prime numbers, and claims the team shot up the leagues.
You may also want to watch:
Principal of Mossbourne Academy, Peter Hughes, said: “As a maths teacher myself, I felt we were extremely privileged to have one of the best mathematicians in the world come to our school.
“Prof du Sautoy’s evident enthusiasm for numbers and their real-world applications - from plants to aerodynamics - seemed to captivate the entire audience.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs