Hackney GCSE Results Day 2019: Petchey Academy sees record number of students gain 10 or more ‘strong passes’
- Credit: Archant
For the first year, 30 students at Dalston’s Petchey Academy scored 10 or more GCSEs at grades 5 to 9 – with some gaining up to 12 top scores.
A grade 5 is classed as a "strong pass" and is between a B and a C under the old scoring system.
Some 30 per cent of all passes at the Shacklewell Lane school were at grades 6 to 9, while results in biology, chemistry, physics, economics and Mandarin Chinese led the pack with between 85pc and 100pc of all students gaining grade 5 or above.
Principal Olivia Cole said: "Days like today are the reason that many of us go in to teaching in the first place.
"To see students celebrating their hard earned success and being rightly proud of themselves has got to be the best part of being in education.
You may also want to watch:
"We are extremely pleased with another strong set of results in the sciences."
As well as those pictured here, star performers included Kyron Caesar, who scored 11 passes at grades 7 to 9 - the equivalent of As and A*s - while Ali Saif and Shalom Adama got six and nine, respectively, of their 11 GCSEs at or above grade 7.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search