Results announced: Hackney Youth Parliament members elected to office
- Credit: Archant
After months of writing manifestos, speaking at hustings and campaigning at schools and youth clubs, 24 young people aged 11-19 have been elected to represent their peers for the next two years.
The newly-elected Hackney Youth Parliament was welcomed into office by Mayor Philip Glanville, who announced the results at Forest Road Youth Hub on Thursday last week.
The parliament meets every week and will start work on their first campaign, youth health in Hackney, in November.
Youth Parliament representative for Hackney North, Anwer Siddig, 17 said: “I felt really proud – and I feel like I can now make changes in our community. There’s a lot of things in Hackney worth celebrating – our cultural diversity and community cohesion, but there’s still things that can be improved. I’d like to there to be more public spaces for kids and young people – if these spaces are well-used and open to everyone this can decrease crime, and help people feel safer when they’re out.”
Meanwhile newly-elected Kairi Weekes-Sanderson, 16, who represents Hackney South added: “I was really surprised to get voted in, but very happy as I really want to make a difference. I want to raise awareness about what’s on offer to young people, and how they can get funding for their ideas.”
You may also want to watch:
Previous members include winner of BBC talent show The Voice, Jermain Jackman, and Ife Grillo, who is a world debating champion and Vice Chair at the British Youth Council.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
- 9 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 10 Where to go to get Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccinations