Results announced: Hackney Youth Parliament members elected to office
- Credit: Archant
After months of writing manifestos, speaking at hustings and campaigning at schools and youth clubs, 24 young people aged 11-19 have been elected to represent their peers for the next two years.
The newly-elected Hackney Youth Parliament was welcomed into office by Mayor Philip Glanville, who announced the results at Forest Road Youth Hub on Thursday last week.
The parliament meets every week and will start work on their first campaign, youth health in Hackney, in November.
Youth Parliament representative for Hackney North, Anwer Siddig, 17 said: “I felt really proud – and I feel like I can now make changes in our community. There’s a lot of things in Hackney worth celebrating – our cultural diversity and community cohesion, but there’s still things that can be improved. I’d like to there to be more public spaces for kids and young people – if these spaces are well-used and open to everyone this can decrease crime, and help people feel safer when they’re out.”
Meanwhile newly-elected Kairi Weekes-Sanderson, 16, who represents Hackney South added: “I was really surprised to get voted in, but very happy as I really want to make a difference. I want to raise awareness about what’s on offer to young people, and how they can get funding for their ideas.”
You may also want to watch:
Previous members include winner of BBC talent show The Voice, Jermain Jackman, and Ife Grillo, who is a world debating champion and Vice Chair at the British Youth Council.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week