Rhythm Summer School is the highlight of kids’ calendar
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters worked up a frenzy playing the African drums in a performance showcasing all they had learned in Bombo’s week-long Rhythm Summer School.
Run by Bombo Productions, youngsters had a go at Latin and African drumming, the traditional drum kit, steel pans, beat box and song, all combined with an art project which saw them designing an imaginary world in a cardboard box.
Parent Saskia Reeves said her children found the week “exciting, fun and inspirational”.
“What’s amazing is the all consuming involvement for the full five days, and the experience of new things - this year it was steel pans, one year it was trash drumming,” she said.
“It’s brilliant that they can learn with very talented musicians and get into those African and Cuban rhythms.”
You may also want to watch:
Another mum Lucy St Ville said the week is “one of the highlights” of her children’s year.
This is the ninth year the course, which is part-funded by Hackney Music Services, has been running and the first time it has taken place in the Bridge Academy in Laburnum Street, Haggerston.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 5 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 6 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors