Schoolchildren taught martial arts by Olympic gold medallist
An Olympic martial arts medallist is helping taekwondo enthusiasts at Hackney City Academy set up a club for the sport after school.
Lutalo Muhammad, who won a bronze medal this year, ran the new taekwondo club’s first session from 3.45pm to 4.45pm on September 19.
The club ran only days after students joined Lutalo and his gold medallist team mate Jade Jones at the office of their sponsors, KPMG, in Canary Wharf.
Archie Clark, one of the students instrumental in setting up the club, said: “Meeting the Olympic medallists, Lutalo and Jade was really inspiring and I really enjoyed the first class.
“It’s great for building confidence, very physical, very vocal but disciplined. It was really fun.”
KPMG has sponsored the City Academy since 2009 and the taekwondo team since 2007. They invited their guests for a day of celebration and speeches.
”I always wanted to try a martial art and it’s great that we have now started a club at the Hackney City Academy thanks to the support of coach Siva and KPMG,” said Archie.
- 1 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 2 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 3 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney
- 4 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 5 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 6 Dumpling Shack announces plans for Hackney restaurant
- 7 Covid patient numbers remain steady at Homerton Hospital
- 8 Sentencing delayed for 'audacious' fraudster who conned Hackney hotel staff
- 9 Hackney-born football fanatic pens lifelong passion
- 10 Hackney woman fined £12,000 for hosting birthday bash a day after No 10 parties
The sessions will now run weekly with coach Siva Renganathan was also an Olympic torch bearer.