Schoolchildren taught martial arts by Olympic gold medallist
An Olympic martial arts medallist is helping taekwondo enthusiasts at Hackney City Academy set up a club for the sport after school.
Lutalo Muhammad, who won a bronze medal this year, ran the new taekwondo club’s first session from 3.45pm to 4.45pm on September 19.
The club ran only days after students joined Lutalo and his gold medallist team mate Jade Jones at the office of their sponsors, KPMG, in Canary Wharf.
Archie Clark, one of the students instrumental in setting up the club, said: “Meeting the Olympic medallists, Lutalo and Jade was really inspiring and I really enjoyed the first class.
“It’s great for building confidence, very physical, very vocal but disciplined. It was really fun.”
You may also want to watch:
KPMG has sponsored the City Academy since 2009 and the taekwondo team since 2007. They invited their guests for a day of celebration and speeches.
”I always wanted to try a martial art and it’s great that we have now started a club at the Hackney City Academy thanks to the support of coach Siva and KPMG,” said Archie.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
The sessions will now run weekly with coach Siva Renganathan was also an Olympic torch bearer.