Schoolchildren taught martial arts by Olympic gold medallist
An Olympic martial arts medallist is helping taekwondo enthusiasts at Hackney City Academy set up a club for the sport after school.
Lutalo Muhammad, who won a bronze medal this year, ran the new taekwondo club’s first session from 3.45pm to 4.45pm on September 19.
The club ran only days after students joined Lutalo and his gold medallist team mate Jade Jones at the office of their sponsors, KPMG, in Canary Wharf.
Archie Clark, one of the students instrumental in setting up the club, said: “Meeting the Olympic medallists, Lutalo and Jade was really inspiring and I really enjoyed the first class.
“It’s great for building confidence, very physical, very vocal but disciplined. It was really fun.”
You may also want to watch:
KPMG has sponsored the City Academy since 2009 and the taekwondo team since 2007. They invited their guests for a day of celebration and speeches.
”I always wanted to try a martial art and it’s great that we have now started a club at the Hackney City Academy thanks to the support of coach Siva and KPMG,” said Archie.
- 1 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 6 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 7 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 8 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 9 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 10 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
The sessions will now run weekly with coach Siva Renganathan was also an Olympic torch bearer.