Schoolchildren taught martial arts by Olympic gold medallist
An Olympic martial arts medallist is helping taekwondo enthusiasts at Hackney City Academy set up a club for the sport after school.
Lutalo Muhammad, who won a bronze medal this year, ran the new taekwondo club’s first session from 3.45pm to 4.45pm on September 19.
The club ran only days after students joined Lutalo and his gold medallist team mate Jade Jones at the office of their sponsors, KPMG, in Canary Wharf.
Archie Clark, one of the students instrumental in setting up the club, said: “Meeting the Olympic medallists, Lutalo and Jade was really inspiring and I really enjoyed the first class.
“It’s great for building confidence, very physical, very vocal but disciplined. It was really fun.”
You may also want to watch:
KPMG has sponsored the City Academy since 2009 and the taekwondo team since 2007. They invited their guests for a day of celebration and speeches.
”I always wanted to try a martial art and it’s great that we have now started a club at the Hackney City Academy thanks to the support of coach Siva and KPMG,” said Archie.
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
The sessions will now run weekly with coach Siva Renganathan was also an Olympic torch bearer.