Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- Credit: Scouts/Martyn Milner
The east London Scouts have just launched a brand new early years programme for four to five-year-olds with new groups located in Hackney and Tower Hamlets.
The Squirrels programme is the first new addition to the UK Scouts in 35 years. It was launched to support early years children to learn essential life skills.
The Scouts are calling on grown-up volunteers however, to help the roll out of groups in east London.
Volunteers will help Squirrels be active, explore nature and have fun learning outdoors with friends.
Chief Scout Bear Grylls urged people to volunteer and for donors to get behind the programme, adding: “I'm so glad that younger children from East London will now have the chance to join our family of Scouts and develop skills for life.
You may also want to watch:
"We know from our pilot programme that four and five-year-olds can really benefit from the activities that Squirrels offers. All of us at the Scouts believe that by offering opportunities at this early age, inspiring a sense of wonder, fun and curiosity, we can have a long-lasting, positive impact on young peoples' lives."
The Royal Foundation’s research 2020 on early years recently recognised the lifelong benefits of good quality early education.
Ofsted research from October 2020 also revealed that in communities hardest hit by the pandemic, early years children have returned less confident and more anxious after lockdowns.
The Squirrels programme aims to create a safe environment for children to develop and learn new things, while having outdoor adventures and earning a new set of badges.
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 3 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
Activities will include pitching a blanket tent, plating seeds and learning how to spend 50p in a local shop.
To support the expanded programme the Scouts are looking for 5,000 new volunteers for east London groups.
Some east London Squirrel groups have already opened. The Poplar group will open on September 23, The Isle of Dogs group on October 2, Bethnal Green on October 3, Stoke Newington on October 4, Tower Hamlets on October 8 and Stepney Scout groups on October 9.
To find out more about the Squirrels programme contact email@example.com or call 0345 3001818