Stoke Newington primary school celebrates its 40th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Simon Marks Jewish Primary School celebrated its 40th anniversary last Wednesday [June 5] with an unveiling of the school’s new Aron Kodesh – the holy arc containing the Torah scrolls.
All children from nursery to year six performed various acts in front of an audience of local dignitaries, former pupils and parents at the Stoke Newington school.
Performances included traditional Israeli dances, songs, sketches, poems, the nursery sang ‘Happy Birthday’ and one class performed a specially-written rap.
Headteacher Gill Ross said the event was a special celebration and an important landmark in the school’s continuing development in the local community.
“This event is a milestone for Simon Marks, which goes from strength to strength and whose combination of outstanding secular studies and an inclusive, modern Orthodox ethos is attracting families in record numbers.”
You may also want to watch:
Among those in the audience was founding headteacher and former Hackney Council leader Rose Stftel-Lipman and former pupil Lord Glasman of Stoke Newington and Stamford Hill who delivered the keynote address.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year