The Blue Hut youth club in Hoxton to reopen
Centre that shut down suddenly last year will be back in business at the end of January.
A state-of-the-art youth centre in Hoxton that shut down suddenly last year is set to reopen at the end of the month.
The Blue Hut Youth Centre in Provost Street will be back up and running on January 24, organisers told the Gazette.
Residents young and old came together last October calling for the centre, which contains a music production studio, computers and cooking appliances, to be saved.
It closed two months earlier amid speculation of gang activity. The club had been open for just a year.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteers from youth charity SkyWay will be managing the Blue Hut as before, offering weekly drop in sessions, a sports programme in partnership with north London football club Arsenal and media training and holiday schemes.
Hannah Kubie, a spokeswoman for the club’s organisers, said: “Everyone involved with supporting the Blue Hut is very positive about the centre reopening at the beginning of a New Year and expect a good take up of the activities on offer throughout 2011.”
- 1 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 2 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 3 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 6 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 9 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
- 10 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
Hoxton ward councillors Carole Williams, Clayeon McKenzie and Philip Glanville, who have been pushing for the club to reopen, welcomed the announcement.
They said in a joint statement: “After campaigning alongside the community to ensure the future of this club, we are delighted to learn that SkyWay will be reopening the Blue Hut from 24 January. This has been a valuable and much loved local resource, and the four day a week programme that they will be running alongside Arsenal in the Community, will ensure that we once again have activities for young people in this part of the borough.”