World dishes on a budget
- Credit: Archant
Learn how to cook on a budget and eat healthily in a hands-on cooking class.
Bags of Taste, which teaches people who are struggling with food costs to eat better for less, is running the workshops in St Paul’s Church Hall, Stoke Newington Road from Tuesday January 12 until Tuesday February 2 from 11am to 1.30pm.
Recipes are sourced from around the world and are all designed to cost less than £1 per head.
Dishes will include Swedish meatballs, fajitas, fish curry and special fried rice.
At the end of every lesson participants can buy bags of ingredients for £3, with enough food included for four meals, so you can try cooking it again at home.
You may also want to watch:
The course at Bags of Taste is designed using behavioural science with the aim to drive dietary behaviour change, and they work with people at risk of health inequalities who are in food poverty.
A spokesman said: “People on low incomes are often eating the worst. It seems impossible sometimes to eat “real food” any cheaper than an 89p Iceland pizza or chicken and chips for £1, but we know it can be done and done even more tastily than the takeaway.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
- 10 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
To join the course call 07923 248 586 or email email@example.com.