Young candidates announced in contest for Hackney Youth Parliament
Political hopefuls start vying for votes in schools and youth clubs
THE BATTLE for seats on Hackney Youth Parliament is underway after the candidates standing in this year’s election were announced.
Thirty-two young people are vying to become one of next 20 elected members of the parliament, which represents the views of their peers in the council’s policy and decision making.
The candidates will now be canvassing for votes at schools, youth clubs and events around the borough before the ballot boxes open between October 11 and 14.
They are asking 11 to 19-year-olds to elect them to represent four neighbourhood areas of Homerton, North East, Shoreditch and Stoke Newington for a two-year period.
You may also want to watch:
The results will be announced at the Youth Democracy Fair at Hackney Town Hall in Mare Street on October 15 as part of Local Democracy Week, which will include stalls, workshops and a screening of Youth Parliament documentary, ‘Freedom and Choices: Hackney Youth Parliament Does US Democracy’.
Anita Okopu, outgoing secretary of the parliament, said: “We have come a long way since we were elected in 2008. We have always championed the voice of young people in Hackney and we are really proud of that.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 5 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 9 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
“To everyone up for election this year, good luck, work hard and be proud of who you are.”
This year’s candidates are -
For more information - including the candidates’ manifestos – go to www.younghackney.org/elections or contact either Mandy Richards by calling 07527 385680 or emailing email@example.com or Cat Garrett on 07527 385664 or firstname.lastname@example.org.