Young candidates announced in contest for Hackney Youth Parliament
Political hopefuls start vying for votes in schools and youth clubs
THE BATTLE for seats on Hackney Youth Parliament is underway after the candidates standing in this year’s election were announced.
Thirty-two young people are vying to become one of next 20 elected members of the parliament, which represents the views of their peers in the council’s policy and decision making.
The candidates will now be canvassing for votes at schools, youth clubs and events around the borough before the ballot boxes open between October 11 and 14.
They are asking 11 to 19-year-olds to elect them to represent four neighbourhood areas of Homerton, North East, Shoreditch and Stoke Newington for a two-year period.
You may also want to watch:
The results will be announced at the Youth Democracy Fair at Hackney Town Hall in Mare Street on October 15 as part of Local Democracy Week, which will include stalls, workshops and a screening of Youth Parliament documentary, ‘Freedom and Choices: Hackney Youth Parliament Does US Democracy’.
Anita Okopu, outgoing secretary of the parliament, said: “We have come a long way since we were elected in 2008. We have always championed the voice of young people in Hackney and we are really proud of that.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
“To everyone up for election this year, good luck, work hard and be proud of who you are.”
This year’s candidates are -
For more information - including the candidates’ manifestos – go to www.younghackney.org/elections or contact either Mandy Richards by calling 07527 385680 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or Cat Garrett on 07527 385664 or email@example.com.