Young Hackney photographers use shopkeepers as muses for Sutton House exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from Berger Primary School’s after-school photography club linked up with the Well Street Traders and Residents Association (WESTRA) who put them in contact with businesses for the project.
Budding young photographers have taken shop keepers as muses, to create a photography exhibition which is on show in Hackney’s oldest home.
The children under the guidance of club leader Nefise Hussein took portrait pictures of shop owners based in Well Street, which dates back 150 years, and they are now on display in an exhibition until June 30 at Sutton House in Homerton High Street.
WESTRA Secretary Ian Rathbone said: “It’s been really exciting to see the excellent quality of work produced by the pupils and I know that the shopkeepers and their staff have enjoyed the children visiting and taking photos.”
He hopes the photos will help people to see the street as an attractive place to come and shop.
You may also want to watch:
Karen Coulthard, headteacher of the school in Anderson Road, South Hackney, added: “Developing children’s interest and awareness of photography is something we need to spend more time in school pursuing as this is a medium they respond to with such enthusiasm.
“The photographs the children have produced as part of this work are truly amazing.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover