Youngsters urged to complete half marathon in Run Hackney Schools Challenge
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters are gearing up to run the equivalent of a half marathon mile in the Run Hackney Schools Challenge.
The initiative was launched today at Millfields in Lower Clapton to encourage primary children to run 12 miles, by running a mile a week in the lead up to the race on May 10 and complete the distance by running the final 1.1 miles through the finishing arch at Hackney Marshes.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, who came up with the idea for the inaugural Run Hackney race last year, urged more children to take part this year.
“The children’s event at the Run Hackney Half Marathon is a real highlight of the day,” he said.
“You can tell by their faces as they cross the finish line that they realise they’ve done something good.
You may also want to watch:
“They enjoy the end of the race just as much as the adults: they go through the same finish, they have the crowds cheering them home and they are given the same medal.
“It’s a really special day for the children and something for them to remember. Running regularly makes the children think more about sport and the event makes for a very special day.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 7 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 10 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday