Eight acts make it through to finals of Hackney talent contest
- Credit: Archant
Eight acts made it through to the finals of Hackney’s very own talent contest on Saturday (January 11).
More than 40 talented acts took to the stage as part of the Alter Ego auditions at the Hackney Empire.
Four judges including the Empire’s artistic director Susie McKenna worked till late in the evening deciding who should go through.
The finalists include dancer Warren Hugh Murray; singer Kagan Page-Burgin; singer KC Raphael; rapper Di-Andre Silvera; girl band Our Song is Contagious; girl band Flight; rappers Splash Crew; and band The Brasscals.
The eight acts will receive two full days and five evenings of mentoring by professional Hackney Empire artists, before the final on February 7.
Excited singer KC Raphael, 23, said: “I’ve been singing all my life and when I sing I’m telling the world who I am and what I’m about. I love being able to bring people together through the medium of music.”
Friends Melanie Wanjala, Israel Ferron and Esther Korner make up girl group Flight. They said: “We have always loved music, and are excited to audition for Alter Ego as it is a new experience for us. We enjoy singing together and have for the past four years.”
- 1 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 2 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 3 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 4 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 5 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 6 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 7 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 8 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 9 Men jailed after firing 13 shots at people in children's park
- 10 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
Alter Ego is part of Hackney Council’s annual youth arts and culture festival Discover Young Hackney, which gives the borough’s 13 to 19-year-olds an insight in to the performing, media and visual arts industries.
n. Tickets cost just £2 and are available from the Hackney Empire box office or www.hackneyempire.co.uk/3415/shows/alter-ego.html.