Eight acts make it through to finals of Hackney talent contest
- Credit: Archant
Eight acts made it through to the finals of Hackney’s very own talent contest on Saturday (January 11).
More than 40 talented acts took to the stage as part of the Alter Ego auditions at the Hackney Empire.
Four judges including the Empire’s artistic director Susie McKenna worked till late in the evening deciding who should go through.
The finalists include dancer Warren Hugh Murray; singer Kagan Page-Burgin; singer KC Raphael; rapper Di-Andre Silvera; girl band Our Song is Contagious; girl band Flight; rappers Splash Crew; and band The Brasscals.
The eight acts will receive two full days and five evenings of mentoring by professional Hackney Empire artists, before the final on February 7.
You may also want to watch:
Excited singer KC Raphael, 23, said: “I’ve been singing all my life and when I sing I’m telling the world who I am and what I’m about. I love being able to bring people together through the medium of music.”
Friends Melanie Wanjala, Israel Ferron and Esther Korner make up girl group Flight. They said: “We have always loved music, and are excited to audition for Alter Ego as it is a new experience for us. We enjoy singing together and have for the past four years.”
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
Alter Ego is part of Hackney Council’s annual youth arts and culture festival Discover Young Hackney, which gives the borough’s 13 to 19-year-olds an insight in to the performing, media and visual arts industries.
n. Tickets cost just £2 and are available from the Hackney Empire box office or www.hackneyempire.co.uk/3415/shows/alter-ego.html.