Emotional appeal from family of Turkish man murdered in Hackney social club
Cem Duzgun was shot at close range as he played a game of pool with his friends inside the Clapton FC Club in Upper Clapton Rd this day two years ago.
The family of 21-year-old Turkish man gunned down inside a Clapton social club are urging witnesses to help trace his killers on the second anniversary of his death.
Cem Duzgun was shot at close range as he played a game of pool with his friends inside the Clapton FC Club in Upper Clapton Rd at about 10.45pm on October 5 2009.
Detectives have released CCTV images of the suspected attackers and a reward of �20,000 is still available for information leading to the identification, arrest and prosecution of those responsible.
Mr Duzgun lived with his family in Islington and worked as a sales assistant at a clothes store in Croydon.
You may also want to watch:
He had arrived at the club just after 10pm that evening. While he was playing pool, two men opened fire from the doorway.
Detectives do not believe Mr Duzgun, who was closest to the door, was the intended target but that the suspects simply fired indiscriminately.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
His mother, Ipez Duzgun, said: “Words cannot describe the void and the pain that my family has been feeling for the last two years. We are breathing but we are not living. We cannot sleep at night knowing that the people responsible for Cem’s murder walk freely without a care in the world.
“We plead with anyone who knows something, no matter how insignificant, to contact the police.”
One suspect was a light-skinned black man, in his early 20s, of medium height and slim build, wearing a navy or black jacket, grey hooded top, blue jeans and white trainers.
The second was a black man, in his early 20s, wearing a navy hooded coat, jeans and trainers. He carried a plastic bag containing the gun.
Det Insp Simon Ashwin, of the Met’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said: “Cem was a hard-working young man who had been relaxing with friends when he was callously gunned down. His family and friends are devastated at his loss and are still waiting for answers as to why this happened. I believe that some people in the local community still hold significant information about what happened on that night two years ago and we urge them to contact us.”
Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8785 8244 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Turkish or Kurdish speakers can call a special line on 020 8785 8944.