Empirical invites kids to experience live jazz at Old Street pop-up
- Credit: Archant
A jazz band is inviting schools and community groups to sign up to learn the principles of jazz improvisation when it takes over an empty retail unit at Old Street tube station this week.
Empirical will play free early morning, lunchtime and late night evening commute sessions at the converted pop-up Jazz Lounge in the underground pass until Saturday.
Free educational workshops aimed at school groups, will give younger audiences a chance to experience live jazz.
A spokesman for the band said: “Continuing to draw strong influence from the 1960s, the residency series aims to capture the spirit of an era when bands often played several sets a day over many weeks.
“The residency concept gives the band intense practice whilst allowing the audience to witness the creative process as the band develops new material.
You may also want to watch:
Old Street Underground Station was chosen for its high footfall, with 35,000 station users each day, and the “vibrant demographic” mix the area attracts.
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 3 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 4 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 5 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 6 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 7 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 How you can get free pizza at a Hoxton restaurant