Empirical invites kids to experience live jazz at Old Street pop-up
- Credit: Archant
A jazz band is inviting schools and community groups to sign up to learn the principles of jazz improvisation when it takes over an empty retail unit at Old Street tube station this week.
Empirical will play free early morning, lunchtime and late night evening commute sessions at the converted pop-up Jazz Lounge in the underground pass until Saturday.
Free educational workshops aimed at school groups, will give younger audiences a chance to experience live jazz.
A spokesman for the band said: “Continuing to draw strong influence from the 1960s, the residency series aims to capture the spirit of an era when bands often played several sets a day over many weeks.
“The residency concept gives the band intense practice whilst allowing the audience to witness the creative process as the band develops new material.
You may also want to watch:
Old Street Underground Station was chosen for its high footfall, with 35,000 station users each day, and the “vibrant demographic” mix the area attracts.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 4 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images