Empirical invites kids to experience live jazz at Old Street pop-up
- Credit: Archant
A jazz band is inviting schools and community groups to sign up to learn the principles of jazz improvisation when it takes over an empty retail unit at Old Street tube station this week.
Empirical will play free early morning, lunchtime and late night evening commute sessions at the converted pop-up Jazz Lounge in the underground pass until Saturday.
Free educational workshops aimed at school groups, will give younger audiences a chance to experience live jazz.
A spokesman for the band said: “Continuing to draw strong influence from the 1960s, the residency series aims to capture the spirit of an era when bands often played several sets a day over many weeks.
“The residency concept gives the band intense practice whilst allowing the audience to witness the creative process as the band develops new material.
You may also want to watch:
Old Street Underground Station was chosen for its high footfall, with 35,000 station users each day, and the “vibrant demographic” mix the area attracts.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Shocked woman finds bugs in unopened Lidl Paprika Jar
- 4 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 5 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Sadiq Khan: “Young People in Hackney remind me of myself 30 years ago”
- 8 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions