Entrepreneurs’ app helps you find the right pub for you
- Credit: The Local
Two Hackney tech entrepreneurs have made life easier for London’s pub-goers with an app that lists what pubs across the capital have on offer.
Hugo Murphy and Jai Kapoor, both 25, launched The Local: Pub Finder on the App Store in September.
The app enables users to sift through 1,000 boozers using search fields such as live music or sport, veggie-friendly food, drink deals, and pub quizzes.
They can also find out details like a DJ's playlist or whether the beer garden has a heater.
Co-founder Hugo said: "Three pubs a day close in the UK. They are struggling to show that they are more than just a place to have a pint. In fact, pubs have so much to offer that people just don't know about. We hope this app gives them that platform."
The duo, who juggle full-time jobs, devised the idea in March 2018 following a lacklustre night at their local watering hole.
Hugo said: "Jai and I talked about how difficult it was to find a pub with a pool table. The Google app didn't quite have a way of showing that information so we thought about how we could go about it."
- 1 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 2 Wanted: Suspect sought after series of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes area
- 3 Pole thrown on railway tracks 'caused over 11 hours of delays'
- 4 Met defends Israeli police visit to Hackney
- 5 The three strikes and protests hitting Hackney this week
- 6 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 7 HSBC make 'considerable' donation to Finsbury Park food bank
- 8 Lab Tonica to bring colour to Chatsworth Road with debut shop
- 9 Plea date set for teen charged with broad daylight stabbing
- 10 Hackney shooting: Appeal after 'weapons fight' in Lower Clapton
They enlisted app developers from Harrow and began compiling a database with details of hundreds of venues they found online.
At one stage, they had a team of five students wade through freedom of information requests sent to councils across London calling for a list of their local pubs.
There are now moves to improve the app's analytics interface and the boys plan to introduce a feature that allows pub managers to send notices about upcoming events.
The UK's app development economy is forecast to be worth more than £30 billion by 2030, according to a 2014 report by Vision Mobile. The report found that the majority (83 per cent) of app developers were self-taught.
Britain was also the largest generator of apps in Europe during the third quarter of 2019, according to the analytics website Sensor Tower, sweeping in $343.2 million (£262 million) in gross revenue, narrowly beating Germany by $21.6 million (£16.5 million).
Search 'The Local: Pub Finder' in your phone's app store.