Search

Hackney pub kitchen temporarily closed after cockroach infestation

PUBLISHED: 17:06 14 February 2014 | UPDATED: 12:12 17 February 2014

JD Wetherspoon in Baxter'’s Court, Mare street

JD Wetherspoon in Baxter'’s Court, Mare street

Archant

A pub was ordered to stop serving food after cockroaches were found in its kitchen.

The JD Wetherspoon watering hole Baxter’s Court in Mare Street, Hackney Central, was issued with a court order after Environmental Health officers found the infestation.

During a visit last Monday (Feb 10), officers found a trap in the first floor kitchen of the venue full of German cockroaches in different stages of development including egg, nymph and adult.

Live cockroaches were also found in other areas of the kitchen – including next to uncovered boxes of clean cutlery in the main food preparation and cooking area.

German cockroaches are known to carry diseases and organisms including e.coli and salmonella, and Environmental Health officers said that there was an “imminent risk” of food becoming contaminated.

Officers also found no evidence in the kitchen log book to demonstrate what measures had been taken to protect food and equipment from contamination by the cockroaches.

Various cleaning shortfalls were also pointed out in the report.

Last Wednesday (Feb 12), Stratford Magistrates’ Court issued a hygiene emergency prohibition order, prohibiting the preparation and cooking of food at the premises. The pub was also ordered to pay the council costs of £865.

The pub reopened its kitchen last Friday (Feb 14) after a follow-up inspection to give it the all-clear.

Cllr Feryal Demirci, cabinet member for neighbourhoods, said: “Staff at JD Wetherspoon in Mare Street have shown a disregard for the health of customers. Hackney Council will not tolerate this, and we will take action against any business that puts the health of our residents at risk.”

JD Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said: “We wholeheartedly apologise to our customers for the cockroach infestation at Baxter’s Court.

“We take the issue of hygiene in our pubs extremely seriously and we have fallen way behind the standards expected of us in this case.

“We worked closely with our own pest control team as well as the council’s environmental health officers to resolve the situation and as a result the kitchen is now reopen.”

Anyone suspecting a business of breaching hygiene standards should contact Environmental Health on 0208 356 4911 or email info@hackney.gov.uk.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette