Spurs development squad finish third in European tournament
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Wayne Burnett’s team won three times in France, but defeat in their opening group tie saw them miss out on the final
Tottenham Hotspur youngsters concluded a successful time in Ploufragan on Sunday with a 1-0 win over Stade Brestois.
Spurs took part in the European under-21 tournament and finished third after playing four games across three days.
Wayne Burnett's squad travelled out to France and faced Stade Rennais on Friday in their first match, suffering a 2-1 loss despite Kazaiah Sterling's opener.
A day later, on Saturday, the Lilywhites did battle with SM Caen firstly and goals by Kion Etete and Sterling earned them a hard-fought victory.
You may also want to watch:
In the evening, RC Strasbourg were the opposition, but Tottenham triumphed 2-0 with Sterling and Shilow Tracey finding the net.
The two back-to-back victories earned them a place in the knock-out phase, although not the final with Stade Rennais qualifying from the group with a 100 per cent record.
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 3 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 7 A sneak peak of what's in store for Black History Season in Hackney
- 8 Corbyn slams 'spy cops' in peace group as 'disgraceful interference'
- 9 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 10 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
In the third place play-off against Stade Brestois, only one goal was needed to settle the contest and it went to the Lilywhites.
Attacker Tracey was able to make the difference, scoring just before half time to earn a 1-0 win and conclude an enjoyable pre-season trip to Ploufragan.
Next up for Tottenham is a fixture closer to home as the under-23s travel to Enfield Town on Wednesday for a pre-season friendly.