Spurs development squad finish third in European tournament
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Wayne Burnett’s team won three times in France, but defeat in their opening group tie saw them miss out on the final
Tottenham Hotspur youngsters concluded a successful time in Ploufragan on Sunday with a 1-0 win over Stade Brestois.
Spurs took part in the European under-21 tournament and finished third after playing four games across three days.
Wayne Burnett's squad travelled out to France and faced Stade Rennais on Friday in their first match, suffering a 2-1 loss despite Kazaiah Sterling's opener.
A day later, on Saturday, the Lilywhites did battle with SM Caen firstly and goals by Kion Etete and Sterling earned them a hard-fought victory.
You may also want to watch:
In the evening, RC Strasbourg were the opposition, but Tottenham triumphed 2-0 with Sterling and Shilow Tracey finding the net.
The two back-to-back victories earned them a place in the knock-out phase, although not the final with Stade Rennais qualifying from the group with a 100 per cent record.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
In the third place play-off against Stade Brestois, only one goal was needed to settle the contest and it went to the Lilywhites.
Attacker Tracey was able to make the difference, scoring just before half time to earn a 1-0 win and conclude an enjoyable pre-season trip to Ploufragan.
Next up for Tottenham is a fixture closer to home as the under-23s travel to Enfield Town on Wednesday for a pre-season friendly.