Spurs development squad finish third in European tournament
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Wayne Burnett’s team won three times in France, but defeat in their opening group tie saw them miss out on the final
Tottenham Hotspur youngsters concluded a successful time in Ploufragan on Sunday with a 1-0 win over Stade Brestois.
Spurs took part in the European under-21 tournament and finished third after playing four games across three days.
Wayne Burnett's squad travelled out to France and faced Stade Rennais on Friday in their first match, suffering a 2-1 loss despite Kazaiah Sterling's opener.
A day later, on Saturday, the Lilywhites did battle with SM Caen firstly and goals by Kion Etete and Sterling earned them a hard-fought victory.
You may also want to watch:
In the evening, RC Strasbourg were the opposition, but Tottenham triumphed 2-0 with Sterling and Shilow Tracey finding the net.
The two back-to-back victories earned them a place in the knock-out phase, although not the final with Stade Rennais qualifying from the group with a 100 per cent record.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
In the third place play-off against Stade Brestois, only one goal was needed to settle the contest and it went to the Lilywhites.
Attacker Tracey was able to make the difference, scoring just before half time to earn a 1-0 win and conclude an enjoyable pre-season trip to Ploufragan.
Next up for Tottenham is a fixture closer to home as the under-23s travel to Enfield Town on Wednesday for a pre-season friendly.