Event of the week: Four Hackney gardens are open for the Big Dig
- Credit: Archant
People are being encouraged to volunteer in four community edible gardens in Hackney for the Big Dig Day tomorrow.
The Dalston Eastern Curve Garden in Dalston Lane, Cordwainers Garden off Mare Street, Mabley Green edible park in Homerton and The Castle Climbing Centre off Green Lanes, Stoke Newington, will all be open.
Volunteers at the Dalston Eastern Curve are being invited to prepare vegetable beds for the new growing season and help develop an area especially for children’s play.
Marie Murray, who manages the garden, said: “So many children in Dalston don’t have access to their own outdoor space and we’ve worked hard to make sure that this garden is a special place where they can play safely, discover nature and enjoy outdoor adventures.
“This year we are developing more ‘natural play’ facilities, including a mud-pie kitchen, tree logs for climbing, den-making, more bug-hotels and wild-life friendly planting.”
You may also want to watch:
The Big Dig Day is run by Capital Growth, a network of more than 2,000 food growing gardens which together cover an area of land equivalent to more than 100 Wembley pitches.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 3 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 4 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park