Event of the week: Pumpkin carving at the Dalston Eastern Curve
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of children, young people and families will descend on Dalston Eastern Curve Garden this weekend to carve fantastic pumpkin creations, helped by an army of Garden volunteers.
Then as darkness falls on the evening of Sunday October 25, all of the pumpkins will light the garden up for a big Lantern Show.
Marie Murray from the garden said: “The Halloween Pumpkin Lantern Show has become more and more popular every year.
“Last year there were a record number of 250 pumpkins carved over the weekend and the atmosphere when they were all lit up together in the Garden on the Sunday evening was truly magical.”
The pumpkin carving and lantern show are free, though donations to cover the costs of the pumpkins are welcomed.
You may also want to watch:
The lantern show starts a week of free activities for children and launches the annual ‘Festival of Light’, with lantern-making and installations to light up the Garden throughout the winter.
Carving sessions take place at 13 Dalston Lane from noon to 5pm on Saturday and noon to 4pm on Sunday, with the lantern show at 6pm until late.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
For more information about the the half-term programme for children see www.dalstongarden.org.