Ex-stockbroker launches start-up to tackle isolation among freelancers in Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting new businesses in Hackney. This week, we spoke to a man out to help freelancers who feel lonely in their jobs.
A freelancer has come up with a way to tackle loneliness and isolation faced by people who work alone.
Waseem Abbasi launched Hub Inspired after speaking to people in the workspaces he frequents in Hackney and realising others felt the same way he did.
Waseem arrived in London in 2010 and was not used to working alone, having come from Pakistan where he was a stockbroker.
“I was used to working in a very busy office, always surrounded by colleagues and friends,” he said. “Now I work alone all the time and when I ask around there are quite a few people in my situation who complained about isolation and I wanted to bring people together.
You may also want to watch:
“Everybody complained about the same thing, but none of us were doing anything about it.
So he set up Hub – a community of freelancers, entrepreneurs, small businesses and professionals co-working independently in social spaces.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
It lists among its members writers, bloggers, web developers and designers, social media experts, photographers, videographers, music consultants and many more.
Waseem is on the lookout for its own premises but at the moment he arranges co-working sessions in cafes around Shoreditch and Old Street, as well as masterclass sessions in central London.
For more information visit hubinspired.com.