Ex-stockbroker launches start-up to tackle isolation among freelancers in Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting new businesses in Hackney. This week, we spoke to a man out to help freelancers who feel lonely in their jobs.
A freelancer has come up with a way to tackle loneliness and isolation faced by people who work alone.
Waseem Abbasi launched Hub Inspired after speaking to people in the workspaces he frequents in Hackney and realising others felt the same way he did.
Waseem arrived in London in 2010 and was not used to working alone, having come from Pakistan where he was a stockbroker.
“I was used to working in a very busy office, always surrounded by colleagues and friends,” he said. “Now I work alone all the time and when I ask around there are quite a few people in my situation who complained about isolation and I wanted to bring people together.
“Everybody complained about the same thing, but none of us were doing anything about it.
So he set up Hub – a community of freelancers, entrepreneurs, small businesses and professionals co-working independently in social spaces.
- 1 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 2 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 3 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 4 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 5 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 6 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 7 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 8 Men jailed after firing 13 shots at people in children's park
- 9 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 10 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
It lists among its members writers, bloggers, web developers and designers, social media experts, photographers, videographers, music consultants and many more.
Waseem is on the lookout for its own premises but at the moment he arranges co-working sessions in cafes around Shoreditch and Old Street, as well as masterclass sessions in central London.
For more information visit hubinspired.com.