Exchange your homemade, homegrown and foraged food at the Hackney Food Swap
- Credit: Archant
Wholesome food enthusiasts are being sought to exchange their homemade, homegrown and foraged food at the spring time Hackney Food Swap.
A jar of marmalade for a loaf of bread, or a pot of honey for half a dozen backyard eggs are examples of trade offs that will take place at the Russet community café on Sunday May 18.
Chef Fabiana Reis and yoga student Mabel Rodriguezare, both Hackney residents came up with the idea, and are searching for 40 participants to take part to promote direct trade within the community, to diversify the homemade food in people’s pantries and to get to know others who want to create a local food community.
Participants can bring anything they have canned, jarred, cooked, baked, blended, created, produced, foraged or grown themselves, like pickles, preserves, baked goods, honey, granola, pasta, fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices.
Ms Rodriguezare said: “The event is free, since one of the aims of the swap is to create other ways of economy, more sustainable and with the community in mind.
You may also want to watch:
“The attendees adhere to an honor code of using the highest cleanliness standards in their own kitchens and gardens to prepare their swap items.
“The amount of product that the people can bring is completely optional, but the more you bring, the more swaps you will be able to do with the other participants.”
- 1 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 4 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 5 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 6 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 7 Stoke Newington restauranteur's father becomes Dementia Friend at 101
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Man who punched pregnant woman in Stamford Hill convicted
- 10 Hackney Travellers campaign to move back to Olympic site
To participate in the event at The Russet in Amhurst Terrace from 10am to 1pm on Sunday May 18, email firstname.lastname@example.org.