Exchange your homemade, homegrown and foraged food at the Hackney Food Swap
- Credit: Archant
Wholesome food enthusiasts are being sought to exchange their homemade, homegrown and foraged food at the spring time Hackney Food Swap.
A jar of marmalade for a loaf of bread, or a pot of honey for half a dozen backyard eggs are examples of trade offs that will take place at the Russet community café on Sunday May 18.
Chef Fabiana Reis and yoga student Mabel Rodriguezare, both Hackney residents came up with the idea, and are searching for 40 participants to take part to promote direct trade within the community, to diversify the homemade food in people’s pantries and to get to know others who want to create a local food community.
Participants can bring anything they have canned, jarred, cooked, baked, blended, created, produced, foraged or grown themselves, like pickles, preserves, baked goods, honey, granola, pasta, fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices.
Ms Rodriguezare said: “The event is free, since one of the aims of the swap is to create other ways of economy, more sustainable and with the community in mind.
You may also want to watch:
“The attendees adhere to an honor code of using the highest cleanliness standards in their own kitchens and gardens to prepare their swap items.
“The amount of product that the people can bring is completely optional, but the more you bring, the more swaps you will be able to do with the other participants.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
To participate in the event at The Russet in Amhurst Terrace from 10am to 1pm on Sunday May 18, email firstname.lastname@example.org.