Family and friends remember Hackney man beaten to death at German nightclub
Family and friends of a Hackney man who was beaten to death by bouncers at a German nightclub gathered to remember him today (Tuesday).
Lee Heath, 31, suffered severe head and internal injuries in an attack at the popular u60311 club in Frankfurt in the early hours of Easter Monday.
Police in the city arrested three bouncers who are being held on suspicion of manslaughter. One of the suspects, a part-time boxer, allegedly used hardened ‘tactical gloves’ containing sand during the incident.
Lee, who grew up in Coopersale Road, Homerton, died in hospital after undergoing four operations in two days.
His mother Marie Heath, 52, was among those at a remembrance service today in Langen, where he lived after moving to Germany in 2009.
You may also want to watch:
Supporters also gathered outside the u60311 nightclub this month in a vigil against violence.
The club’s management has apologized for making “mistakes” but said the beating stemmed from a dispute between two unnamed customers, one of whom allegedly attacked an employee with a bottle.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 7 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
But Frankfurt police said though Lee at some point got in a dispute with club staff, there was no evidence he attacked anyone.
A second service will be held at St Barnabas Church in Homerton on May 23 for Lee’s friends and family in the UK.