Search

Family of eleven make narrow escape after their house goes up in flames

PUBLISHED: 16:10 10 April 2013 | UPDATED: 16:11 10 April 2013

Picture: PA

Picture: PA

sub

A family of 11 made a lucky escape after a fire thought to have been started by a candle broke out in their home last Tuesday morning.

The two adults and nine children were alerted to the fire after one of three smoke alarms went off in their home in Ashtead Road, Clapton. It is understood the candle was lit because the family were celebrating the week-long Jewish festival of Passover.

Ten firefighters spent two to three hours tackling the blaze after they were called out at 7.47am. A large part of the ground floor was badly damaged in the fire.

Neil Crossfield, a watch manager from the London Fire Brigade’s (LFB) fire investigation unit, who investigated the blaze, said:

“The family were woken by a smoke alarm after a candle dropped off a large candle holder onto the dining table.

“The table was laid with a plastic cover and this produced thick clouds of acrid smoke.”

Stoke Newington fire station watch manager Richard Barron said: “Despite the family having three smoke alarms in their house, only one was working. The firefighters installed two new smoke alarms. We advise people to check their smoke alarms regularly. We also provide a service to fit fire alarms.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hackney Gazette