Hackney social enterprise makes father’s day hamper to help combat homelessness
- Credit: Benoit Grogan-Avignon
A Hackney-based social enterprise is offering Londoners a chance to celebrate father’s day and fight homelessness with a food hamper.
Fat Macy’s is a food and catering social enterprise on a mission to break the cycle of homelessness by working with young Londoners living in temporary accommodation.
Founder Meg Doherty told the Gazette: ““Fat Macy’s uses food to create a much needed pathway from hostel to home. Our model is unique because we combine essential vocational training, support and financial backing within a framework that empowers young people to feel really proud of their achievements.
“This prepares them to take the route out of homelessness onto a more stable life in London.”
The father’s day hampers are packed with a selection of British cheeses, snacks and wine and are one of many products now on offer in Fat Macy’s online store.
You may also want to watch:
Like many other establishments the social enterprise has had to adapt to the pandemic by offering products online.
Meanwhile, continued consumer support has meant young trainees on its placement programmes are able to carry on working towards housing deposit grants which they will receive at the end of the course.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
“We see it as our responsibility to create opportunities for our trainees to flourish despite this being a time of uncertainty and disconnection for everyone,” said Megan.
To buy a father’s day cheese and wine hamper click here https://www.fatmacys.org/gift-hampers/fathers-day-cheese-amp-wine-gift-bo
For more information about Fat Macy’s and to visit it’s online shop click here https://www.fatmacys.org/