Fate of Kingsland Road Fire Station announced
- Credit: Archant
The former Kingsland Road fire station is set to house Hackney New Primary school.
The station in Kingsland Road was one of 10 that Mayor of London Boris Johnson shut down in January 2014 in cost-cutting plans, despite massive community opposition.
Response times in nearby De Beauvoir – which used to be four minutes on average – are now routinely more than six minutes, MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch Meg Hillier, who wants to see the station re-open, revealed in February.
At the time, agents Dron and Wright have been marketing the prime location confirmed on Monday that the property was no longer on the market because the sale was “very close to exchange and completion, and in the solicitor’s hands”.
Seven months on it has now been revealed the building will house primary school children in September 2017.
You may also want to watch:
Youngsters at the school are currently being taught in temporary premises inside its parent school, Hackney New School, a secondary school, which is just across the road.
Chair of governors at Hackney New Primary School, Andreas Wesemann, said: “The Kingsland Road fire station is the ideal site for Hackney New Primary School given its close proximity to the secondary school and the local area it will serve in the future.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 6 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 7 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
“We are excited to be able to work with our partners to design this site to accommodate the unique curricular requirements of the school, helping us to develop it as an outstanding place of learning for young children from all backgrounds.”