Fate of Kingsland Road Fire Station announced
- Credit: Archant
The former Kingsland Road fire station is set to house Hackney New Primary school.
The station in Kingsland Road was one of 10 that Mayor of London Boris Johnson shut down in January 2014 in cost-cutting plans, despite massive community opposition.
Response times in nearby De Beauvoir – which used to be four minutes on average – are now routinely more than six minutes, MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch Meg Hillier, who wants to see the station re-open, revealed in February.
At the time, agents Dron and Wright have been marketing the prime location confirmed on Monday that the property was no longer on the market because the sale was “very close to exchange and completion, and in the solicitor’s hands”.
Seven months on it has now been revealed the building will house primary school children in September 2017.
You may also want to watch:
Youngsters at the school are currently being taught in temporary premises inside its parent school, Hackney New School, a secondary school, which is just across the road.
Chair of governors at Hackney New Primary School, Andreas Wesemann, said: “The Kingsland Road fire station is the ideal site for Hackney New Primary School given its close proximity to the secondary school and the local area it will serve in the future.
- 1 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 2 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 3 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 6 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
“We are excited to be able to work with our partners to design this site to accommodate the unique curricular requirements of the school, helping us to develop it as an outstanding place of learning for young children from all backgrounds.”