FAWSL Cup: Tottenham 2 Bristol City 0
- Credit: Archant
Tottenham Hotspur Ladies attained early success in the group stages of the Continental Tyres Cup as a confident performance over FAWSL 1 Bristol City at Cheshunt led to a third win on the spin.
The Lilywhites created the first opening on seven minutes when Katie O’Leary drifted inside, poking through to Bianca Baptiste, who saw her shot saved low by Aimee Watson.
Jenna Schillaci’s right-sided cross was headed out towards Josie Green, who pounced on to the loose ball and fired wide five minutes later.
But with 23 minutes on the clock, Bristol found momentum as Charlie Estcourt broke in off the right to test Chloe Morgan, who palmed away on the stretch before Sophie Mclean cleared.
Renee Hector’s last-ditch challenge inside the area ensured Julie Biesman’s shimmy towards goal was stopped four minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
And Flo Allen’s deep cross came within inches of finding Olivia Fergusson at the far post approaching the half-hour mark.
A minute later at the other end, Baptiste paced away down the left and drifted along the byline, with her near-post strike gathered by Watson.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
Baptiste created an opening for Lauren Pickett, racing through the middle, but her low effort was denied on 33 minutes.
Six minutes passed before Green weaved through the middle and sent Pickett away, who saw Watson rush out to boot clear.
And Spurs took the lead on 41 minutes after Baptiste’s left-sided cross was inadvertently sent towards goal by centre-back Lorca van de Putte, which Watson could only palm out to Pickett to guide home.
Five minutes into the second half, Biesmans saw a dipping shot patted down by Morgan and Lily Woodham’s deep cross into the six-yard box was headed away by Ashleigh Neville with danger looming on 58 minutes.
It was double trouble for the visitors on 66 minutes, though, as O’Leary’s outside-of-the-boot pass sent Baptiste away for a one-on-one and she slotted calmly past Watson.
Lauren Hemp’s corner saw Millie Turner’s header towards the bottom corner palmed away by Morgan approaching 77 minutes.
And Hemp swayed inside the box looking to get her shot away three minutes later, but Hannah Mackenzie stretched out to stop the danger.
Hemp also saw a strike blocked by Schillaci towards Turner, whose lob went over at the back post on 84 minutes.
And Baptiste picked out Coral-Jade Haines on the edge of the box deep in stoppage time, but her volley towards the near post was palmed away by Watson.
Spurs Ladies: Chloe Morgan, Sophie McLean, Jenna Schillaci, Renee Hector, Ashleigh Neville, Hannah MacKenzie, Maya Vio, Josie Green (Wendy Martin 71), Katie O’Leary (Coral-Jade Haines 85), Lauren Pickett (Sarah Wiltshire 59), Bianca Baptiste. Unused subs: Toni-Anne Wayne, Lucia Leon.