Fernando Llorente and Dele Alli goals help Spurs see off Premier League strugglers Swansea Cty in the rain
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Premier League: Swansea City 0 Tottenham Hotspur 2
Fernando Llorente and Dele Alli struck once in each half to give Tottenham Hotspur an opening Premier League win of 2018 with a 2-0 victory at Swansea City.
Llorente was handed a rare start with Harry Kane on the bench and rewarded the faith shown in him by Mauricio Pochettino with 12 minutes on the clock in Wales.
Christian Eriksen whipped in a dangerous free kick and Tottenham’s Spanish striker headed home his first Premier League goal of the season against his old club.
The rest of the opening 45 was tough for both sides with the rain lashing down at the Liberty Stadium, but Spurs nearly made it 2-0 just before the break.
You may also want to watch:
Another Eriksen free kick caused Swansea problems, but this time Llorente couldn’t find the net with his header.
It stayed 1-0 at the break and once again clear-cut chances were few and far between after the break, but Ben Davies had to be alert in the 70th minute to slide in and prevent Jordan Ayew from firing into an empty net after he had rounded Hugo Lloris.
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 9 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
Tottenham then sealed the points a minute from time when substitute Kane showed great vision and skill to pick out Alli and although his first effort was saved, he diverted home the rebound to wrap up a hard-fought victory.
Spurs move up to fifth after their third consecutive league win ahead of entertaining local rivals West Ham United on Thursday.
Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris; Trippier, Sanchez (Wanyama 59), Vertonghen, Davies; Dier, Eriksen; Lamela (Sissoko 77), Alli, Son; Llorente (Kane 68).
Unused substitutes: Vorm, Aurier, Winks, Walker-Peters.