Fernando Llorente and Dele Alli goals help Spurs see off Premier League strugglers Swansea Cty in the rain
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Premier League: Swansea City 0 Tottenham Hotspur 2
Fernando Llorente and Dele Alli struck once in each half to give Tottenham Hotspur an opening Premier League win of 2018 with a 2-0 victory at Swansea City.
Llorente was handed a rare start with Harry Kane on the bench and rewarded the faith shown in him by Mauricio Pochettino with 12 minutes on the clock in Wales.
Christian Eriksen whipped in a dangerous free kick and Tottenham’s Spanish striker headed home his first Premier League goal of the season against his old club.
The rest of the opening 45 was tough for both sides with the rain lashing down at the Liberty Stadium, but Spurs nearly made it 2-0 just before the break.
Another Eriksen free kick caused Swansea problems, but this time Llorente couldn’t find the net with his header.
It stayed 1-0 at the break and once again clear-cut chances were few and far between after the break, but Ben Davies had to be alert in the 70th minute to slide in and prevent Jordan Ayew from firing into an empty net after he had rounded Hugo Lloris.
- 1 Call for Hackney Council to refund £200,000 in 'unlawful' fines
- 2 Plumber found guilty of road rage murder of Deliveroo driver
- 3 Two shootings in Hackney as Walthamstow murder probe launched
- 4 Dalston Lane closure after rider taken to hospital
- 5 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 6 Left in limbo – traders face silence as lease deadline looms
- 7 All Points East 2022: Gorillaz, Idles line-up and stage times
- 8 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 9 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 10 ‘Blimey’: Stoke Newington resident celebrates 109th birthday
Tottenham then sealed the points a minute from time when substitute Kane showed great vision and skill to pick out Alli and although his first effort was saved, he diverted home the rebound to wrap up a hard-fought victory.
Spurs move up to fifth after their third consecutive league win ahead of entertaining local rivals West Ham United on Thursday.
Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris; Trippier, Sanchez (Wanyama 59), Vertonghen, Davies; Dier, Eriksen; Lamela (Sissoko 77), Alli, Son; Llorente (Kane 68).
Unused substitutes: Vorm, Aurier, Winks, Walker-Peters.