Ferncliff Road murder: Victim, 26, of Dalston shooting named as ‘beautiful’ Abraham Badru
- Credit: Archant
A “beautiful” 26-year-old man gunned down in a Dalston street last night has been named locally as Abraham Badru.
Friends and neighbours today paid tribute to “good lad” Mr Badru, who was found fatally injured near his mother’s house in Ferncliff Road shortly after 11pm yesterday. Mr Badru’s killing is the third in Hackney this year, and the 10th in London in the last fortnight.
The mother of Mr Badru’s girlfriend told the Gazette: “All I can tell you is he was a very good lad. A beautiful, beautiful person.
“We want this to be published because too many young lives are going too soon.”
A friend who knew the victim’s family from Nigeria added: “He was a very responsible god fearing boy.”
You may also want to watch:
One neighbour described hearing “one shot and a cry of pain”.
The man described looking out from his balcony and seeing “a man slumped over on the ground at the back of a car”.
- 1 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 2 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 3 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 4 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 5 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- 8 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 9 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 10 Queen's Birthday Honours: Hackney man's vital vaccine work honoured
“As soon as I heard the bang, I knew it was a gunshot,” he said. “I’m ex-military and knew that couldn’t be a firework.
“There was just one shot and a cry of pain. No speeding scooter and no speeding car.”
The man, who has lived on Mountford Estate since it was built in the 1980s, is considering moving out.
“I’m trying to raise a child here but with the number of people carrying knives and guns it just isn’t safe,” he said.
Officers carried out house-to-house inquiries this morning, while distressed family members and friends were seen visiting what is understood to be the family home.
Det Ch Insp Larry Smith, from Scotland Yard’s murder squad, appealed to anyone with information to “come forward without delay”.
“We are appealing for information so we can establish the circumstances which led to a young man losing his life,” he added.
“Your call will be treated in the strictest confidence.”
Anyone with information about the shooting can call police on 020 8345 3985 quoting reference 7601/25March; or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Additional reporting by Press Association
• Did you know Mr Badru? Call the news desk on 020 7433 0104.