Ferncliff Road murder: Victim, 26, of Dalston shooting named as ‘beautiful’ Abraham Badru
- Credit: Archant
A “beautiful” 26-year-old man gunned down in a Dalston street last night has been named locally as Abraham Badru.
Friends and neighbours today paid tribute to “good lad” Mr Badru, who was found fatally injured near his mother’s house in Ferncliff Road shortly after 11pm yesterday. Mr Badru’s killing is the third in Hackney this year, and the 10th in London in the last fortnight.
The mother of Mr Badru’s girlfriend told the Gazette: “All I can tell you is he was a very good lad. A beautiful, beautiful person.
“We want this to be published because too many young lives are going too soon.”
A friend who knew the victim’s family from Nigeria added: “He was a very responsible god fearing boy.”
You may also want to watch:
One neighbour described hearing “one shot and a cry of pain”.
The man described looking out from his balcony and seeing “a man slumped over on the ground at the back of a car”.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 3 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 4 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 5 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 6 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
“As soon as I heard the bang, I knew it was a gunshot,” he said. “I’m ex-military and knew that couldn’t be a firework.
“There was just one shot and a cry of pain. No speeding scooter and no speeding car.”
The man, who has lived on Mountford Estate since it was built in the 1980s, is considering moving out.
“I’m trying to raise a child here but with the number of people carrying knives and guns it just isn’t safe,” he said.
Officers carried out house-to-house inquiries this morning, while distressed family members and friends were seen visiting what is understood to be the family home.
Det Ch Insp Larry Smith, from Scotland Yard’s murder squad, appealed to anyone with information to “come forward without delay”.
“We are appealing for information so we can establish the circumstances which led to a young man losing his life,” he added.
“Your call will be treated in the strictest confidence.”
Anyone with information about the shooting can call police on 020 8345 3985 quoting reference 7601/25March; or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Additional reporting by Press Association
• Did you know Mr Badru? Call the news desk on 020 7433 0104.