Finsbury Park neighbourhood adds a feel good soundtrack to Clap for our Carers applause
- Credit: Naomi Clark
A Finsbury Park neighbourhood has been blasting 60s and 70s feel good tunes through their streets every Thursday night to accompany the thunderous weekly clap for our carers heard across the nation.
Finsbury Park’s mutual aid group first got the idea to add a feel good soundtrack to the applause on April 9. About 500 members agreed to broadcast the late Bill Withers’ track Lean on Me from their doorsteps and windows.
Group member Kara Mukerjee told the Gazette: “It was both a tribute to the late great Bill Withers, but also naturally a tribute to our wonderful NHS & community.”
Since then they have played pertinent classics like James Taylor’s You Got A Friend and Joe Cocker’s With A Little Help From My Friends.
This week (May 7) residents will be clapping to All You Need is Love by the Beatles.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a great hit and the whole neighbourhood has decided to take it forward over the coming weeks,” said Kara.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12