Finsbury Park neighbourhood adds a feel good soundtrack to Clap for our Carers applause
- Credit: Naomi Clark
A Finsbury Park neighbourhood has been blasting 60s and 70s feel good tunes through their streets every Thursday night to accompany the thunderous weekly clap for our carers heard across the nation.
Finsbury Park’s mutual aid group first got the idea to add a feel good soundtrack to the applause on April 9. About 500 members agreed to broadcast the late Bill Withers’ track Lean on Me from their doorsteps and windows.
Group member Kara Mukerjee told the Gazette: “It was both a tribute to the late great Bill Withers, but also naturally a tribute to our wonderful NHS & community.”
Since then they have played pertinent classics like James Taylor’s You Got A Friend and Joe Cocker’s With A Little Help From My Friends.
This week (May 7) residents will be clapping to All You Need is Love by the Beatles.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a great hit and the whole neighbourhood has decided to take it forward over the coming weeks,” said Kara.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 4 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 5 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 6 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 7 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 8 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 10 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods