Search

Fire alarm saves Upper Clapton woman who falls asleep while cooking

PUBLISHED: 12:17 23 October 2012

Clampdown: Hoax calls fell from 35 to just six a month in 10 years

Clampdown: Hoax calls fell from 35 to just six a month in 10 years

sub

The woman, of Warwick Grove, Upper Clapton escaped with her life after her smoke alarm went off.

Around 15 firefighters from Stoke Newington and Leyton fire stations were called to the scene at 11.43am.

When they arrived, they found the woman, who is in her 60s, sitting outside her house.

She was suffering from the effect of smoke inhalation, which was exacerbated by her asthma.

Some firefighters provided her with emergency care and oxygen, while others went into the property to extinguish the blaze.

They found a small amount of food alight in the microwave, which had caused a lot of smoke to fill the house.

They spent 15 minutes tacking the blaze.

Crew Manager Jason Butcher, who was at the scene, said: “When we spoke to the lady about what happened, she told us that she had put some food in the microwave and had fallen asleep on the sofa. She was only woken up when the smoke alarm went off. There’s not a doubt in my mind that the smoke alarm saved her life. If she had been in the flat for much longer, this could have had a tragic ending.”

The woman was taken to hospital by paramedics from the London Ambulance Service.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette